The Royal Air Force’s 100th birthday will be celebrated in special ways at Pembroke Dock, once the RAF’s most famous flying boat station.
The Pembroke Dock Heritage Centre is staging a special Open Day on Sunday April 1st – the actual 100th anniversary of the formation of the RAF. On that day in 1918 – during the First World War – the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service were amalgamated into the Royal Air Force.
In the 1930s the RAF established a flying boat station in the former Royal Dockyard at Pembroke Dock and for nearly 30 years a succession of flying boats operated out of the Haven, including the famous Short Sunderland.
That RAF history in the town is told at the Heritage Centre in the Royal Dockyard Chapel where a new special exhibition, entitled ‘Many Nations, Many Trades’, will be put on in time for the event. The exhibition will focus on the men and women of many nations who served at ‘PD’ – from across the Commonwealth and beyond.
On Sunday April 1st the Heritage Centre will host a series of short talks on the subject of the county’s aviation heritage and, weather permitting, two local walks taking in the town’s military history sites. In addition, several local aviation history groups have been invited to display at the Heritage Centre, along with the Air Training Corps.